Monday, April 27, 2009

A glorious day



This afternoon, I sat for a time under one of the apple trees in my backyard, and listened. The bees working among the blossoms made a constant hum, and the finches courting their mates and robins building nests added to the lovely music. I am blessed to live in a place where I rarely hear traffic noise or sirens, and the sound of the wind in the trees is audible. And all of this, below an immense and crystal-blue sky. It was a glorious day!

I wonder how often I am hurrying through the yard, a task on my mind, and never hear the bees. It seems my life has been characterized that way for a long time: on to the next task, get more done, hurry, hurry... I am grateful for a season of more time to hear the details of life.

But at the same time, I realize my time in this world is short, and only getting shorter. I can't linger to listen to bees forever when there is important work to be done, and I am here and able. This whole business of trying to balance priorities, work and rest, pursuit and leisure, is tiring, don't you find, Gentle Reader? One of the many things I look forward to in heaven is always doing exactly what I ought to be doing, and enjoying it to the utmost with no nagging questions or traces of guilt. The object and light of that place will be my Lord. Now *that* will be glorious.

1 comment:

Renee @ AddMoreChocolate said...

Hi Chris - Just left you a little award button on my site. Stop by and pick it up :-)

Hugs,
Renee