Thursday, May 24, 2012

Health update

Part of the reason for last weekend's get-away (see some photos here) was to provide distraction for me as I anticipated my first round of check-ups post breast cancer #2.  I know rationally and spiritually that I should not have dreaded those appointments.  Yet, emotionally, I was dreading them.  As a dear friend said, "Well, you have gotten unexpected and very bad news at appointments like those-- there is something rational about that!" 

Despite my fears, God has given me a good week.  I had appointments with both my oncologist and my primary care.  Both think I am doing well, and that we can proceed with this cancer behind us.  What a blessing from the Lord!  I continue to deal with the fall-out of the battle. Some of the irritations include:
  • hormone issues like hot flashes, sleep interruptions, and mood swings (maybe mood earthquakes would be a better description)
  • joint and bone pain with the hormone therapy drug (arimidex) I'm taking taking
  • lymphedema still in both arms, and still swelling in my abdomen
We will continue to manage these things, and with increased time, rest, and exercise, we hope to conquer or reduce them all. My energy is rebounding somewhat, though I long for more.

I feel that we have turned a corner in our road.  " was on the part of the road marked, "Caution: Cancer Zone Ahead" and now I've reached the "End of the Cancer Zone" sign.  Praise God!  For now, the battle is behind me, and that feels wonderful.  Now the rest of recovery lies ahead.

Thank you, Gentle Readers, for the part you have played in this.  Your prayers are precious things!   

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Chris, thank you so much for the update. I think of you so often and say a prayer that your recovery is progressing in a positive direction. Glad to hear that it is. I look up to you for so many reasons, and the grace with which you have walked this journey has only added to my respect for you.

MagistraCarminum said...

You are so sweet, Natalie! But the grace is all the Lord's!

jlt said...

Oh, what good news, Chris. I am so thankful for you. I will continue to pray that your residual side effects fade away.

Jenifer Hanson said...

Loved reading the good news, and love you, Chris. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

ikceb said...

So glad to hear this! Will continue to pray for God's grace and mercy as you continue to heal. Love ya, Chris.

Unknown said...

Hi Mrs. Finnegan! The school year is done for now and I'm so glad that you are able to teach next year. God has really been good to you and I thank him for that. It's good to see that you are doing well. :)

~Catrin Turner Comp II - E(your former section :)

MagistraCarminum said...

Dear Cat, thanks so much for your note and your prayers! God is good, isn't He?

Is your Dad around for a while, or heading for another deployment? Praying for you and your family-
Love,
Mrs. F.