Thursday, December 11, 2008

Seeing our Pilot


A dear friend asked me today if my blog was sounding more upbeat because I was feeling better, or because I wanted other people to *think* I am feeling better. Well, there might be a little of both, but mostly, I am feeling a little better physically, and it is helping me to feel more hopeful. I can at least imagine getting my strength back. And here are some facts to prove it: 1. I have gone to work out at Curves three times this week, the first time I've managed three workouts in a week since early October. Granted, I am not working out long or hard, but I'm there and moving and stretching everything! 2. My mornings are still sometimes a little hard, but nothing like they were. Most of the time I move over to my comfy chair when Dave gets up at 5:30, and continue sleeping there for another hour. That works pretty well. 3. I have gotten a few things done this week. I graded Worldviews book reports, wrapped Christmas gifts, etc. I never got as much done as I wish i could, but there was real progress.

What has made the difference? Physically, increasing my exercise and changing my medication doses have been huge. And mentally/spiritually, fighting to keep my perspective where it belongs, and spending time with friends who will encourage me with that, has been huge. God has been gracious to encourage my heart! I love this wonderful Calvin quote:
Seeing that a Pilot steers the ship in which we sail...there is no reason why our minds should be overwhelmed with fear...
~John Calvin to Guillaume Farel, 20 August, 1553

So, to sum, though I am still not firing on all cylinders, or running at full tilt, I am keeping my eyes on the Pilot of my ship, and I am encouraged.

A few other updates from my last list of prayer requests...
~I have substantially increased my exercise. Thank you for your prayers! I am now walking 1-2 times a day for 30-60 minutes, and going to Curves three times a week. Once I do that and nap, most of the day is gone, but that is OK!
~Thank you for praying in regards to my rash. I believe it is improving, so please keep praying that it will go away and we can skip another biopsy.
~The Lord has been so good to encourage my spirit by His Spirit, and to provide my terrific husband, pastor and friends to help. Thank you all! And please keep praying!
~Please continue to pray that further medication would be unneccesary.
~Please continue to praise God for piloting our ship, and leading us just where we need to go! May we keep our eyes fixed upon Him.

2 comments:

Randy Greenwald said...

Speaking of exercise, I, too, have begun to make great strides in that area. Just last Friday, I bought new walking shoes. :-)

Glad to hear you are actually doing something with them!

Julie said...

1 Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. 2 Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. 3 In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation...11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. 12 For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield. Ps.5

Remember. Rejoice. Relax.

Love.