Monday, September 29, 2008

War of words


Today I struggled with what my pastor is fond of calling the "hunk of meat in my mouth," my tongue. Ever had one of those days? Got up late, yelled at husband, hurried, felt lousy about everything...

Well, providentially, I ran across a post to Desiring God's recent conference lectures and videos. One of the last ones was entitled "War of Words" by Paul Tripp. That is also the title of one of his books, which I have been wanting to read. I thought, "That might be interesting!" Silly me.

It was interesting. It was also extremely convicting. In a good way. It broke my selfish heart and took all the wind out of my sails of self-righteousness. I listened to it TWICE today. Here are a few of my favorite ideas, but you should listen to or watch the talk. Dr. Tripp says them much better than I. And I plan to read the book, also.

*God was the first to speak, and all words belong to Him.
*We think of our every day responses as little, mundane things, but if God is not ruling our mundane, then He doesn't rule us. Our words are never neutral: they bring life or they bring death.
*Jesus said the mouth speaks out of the abundance of the heart. It can only come out of the mouth if it is in the heart first.
*We want to convince ourselves that our biggest problems exist outside of ourselves, but the truth is, it is inside: I am my greatest communication problem.
*We often try to change what we say, when what needs changing is what's in our hearts.
*Sin makes me obsessed with my wants, my needs, my feelings. It causes me to love me above everything else. I am a vast vat of want, expectancy and entitlement. I am so self-focused and full of my self-oriented agenda that it is impossible for others to even serve me, much less me serve anyone else.
*I live in the claustrophobic confines of my own, little, self-defined kingdom, and want everyone else to join me there. When people get in my way I speak unkindly to them because I reduce people either to a vehicle to get what I want, or an obstacle keeping me from my wants. But either way, I stop treating them as people. I love me more than I love them.
*God didn't give me grace to build my kingdom: He gave me grace to live in and build his expansive, big-sky kingdom. Which kingdom do my words serve?
*It's only when I love God above all else that I can love others more than myself; when I am filled with gratitude instead of want.
*Much of what we call love is not love at all, but the excitement of having others worship us in our little kingdom.
*Biblical love is not an abstract concept, but an act: the crucifixion. Biblical love is willing self-sacrifice for the redemptive good of another that does not demand reciprocation or demand that the other person be deserving.
*The biggest hindrance to loving others with a Biblical love is me.
*Christ has given us everything we need for life and godliness. Why do we live as paupers in our claustrophobic kingdoms, when we can live as princes in God's big-sky kingdom?


Phew. It slew me. May the Lord grant me wisdom in applying this to my own heart!

No comments: