Friday, November 18, 2011

Translating Canadian

I so love my Canadian daughter-in-love that I rarely even remember that she is from a foreign land.  She is just our Nikki, and that is that.  However, every once in a while, she says something that demands a bit of translation.

In preparation for their upcoming visit, Nikki was checking with me to see if I had various items available so she didn't need to pack them. "Do you have elastics?" she asked.  "Yes, I have elastic," I replied.  Every good seamstress has elastic, after all. We went on to discuss other items, but I kept thinking about elastic, and something seemed a bit off.  So I asked Nikki, "Do you mean flat pieces of elastic like I use for sewing?"  "Oh, no," she replied, "I mean rubber bands.  Sorry!"

So translation is sometimes needed, even from Canadian!

No comments: